So you want to achieve long and lean muscles, look healthy and toned, sculpted but not bulky? Foam rolling (SMFR) may be just the piece of the puzzle you’re leaving out.
What is SMFR?
SMFR (Self Myofascial Release), commonly referred to as ‘Foam Rolling’ or ‘Self Sports Massage’ is a DIY method of soft tissue massage therapy that can not only help you achieve long, lean muscles, but it can also improve your muscular flexibility, function, athletic performance, and reduce injuries, not to mention it costs less than half of a typical massage session…
PRESS: You can see me demonstrating foam rolling in my segment on KING5’s New Day Northwest here!
NOTE: This is the perfect way to warm up and recover from my 20-min Treadmill Fat-Blast Workout!
BENEFITS OF SELF-MYOFASCIAL RELEASE (SMFR, or Foam Rolling):
- Correct muscle imbalances
- ↑ Joint range of motion
- ↓ Muscle soreness & relieve joint stress
- ↓ Neuromuscular hypertonicity
- ↑ Extensibility of musculotendinous junction
- ↑ Neuromuscular efficiency
- Maintain normal functional muscular length
Teach me how to Foam Roll!!!
- While avoiding joints, find a spot that’s tender in the area you’re rolling and keep pressure on that spot until the discomfort lessens. It will hurt and may take some time, but keep holding it until the discomfort has decreased by 50-75%.
- Continue ‘massaging’ the roller over your body, finding the tender areas and holding pressure, until you can painlessly roll over the muscle without any discomfort. At this point you can continue rolling regularly to maintain the work you’ve done and keep those areas relaxed, and to prevent injury.
- Use pre and post training/exercise on a stable surface and keep all movement as slow as possible so that the muscle has a chance to relax and not tense up again.
- Keep your core engaged (belly button to spine=tight!) while practicing SMFR.
A few basic demo diagrams:
Position yourself side lying on foam roll. Bottom leg is raised slightly off floor. Maintain head in “neutral” with ears aligned with shoulders. Roll just below hip joint down the lateral thigh to the knee.
Place hamstrings on the roll with hips unsupported. Feet are crossed to increase leverage. Roll from knee toward posterior hip while keeping quadriceps tightened.
Body is positioned prone with quadriceps on foam roll. It is very important to maintain proper Core control (abdominal Drawn-In position & tight gluteals) to prevent low back compensations. Roll from pelvic bone to knee, emphasizing the lateral thigh
Extend the thigh and place foam roll in the groin region with body prone on the floor. Be cautious when rolling near the adductor complex origins at the pelvis.
Position yourself side lying with arm outstretched and foam roll placed in axillary area. Thumb is pointed up to pre-stretch the latissumus dorsi muscle. Movement during this technique is minimal.
Need a foam roller of your very own? Or you want to gift one? I made it easy for you with my aStore! I personally picked out some of my favorite product recommendations for all of you so that you can be sure you’re getting exactly what the trainer prescribed!
YOUR TURN: Do you use a foam roller? Do you do any alternate forms of active-release of SMFR? if so, how often/when do you practice it, and what results have you seen? Tell me in the comments below!
There are varied remedies. Of course, one of the beautiful place where you can get medicaments is online pharmacy. At present there are other drugs to treat tourette syndrome, depressive disorder or bronchospasm. Verapamil is a calcium channel blocker. This medicine works by relaxing the muscles of your blood vessels. Many drugs are used to treat impotency. What about cialis tadalafil buy online and sexual dysfunctions? Presently many patients search for the exact phrase ‘where can i buy cialis online‘ on the Internet. Like all other medicines, Cialis is classified according of it’s main element. In these latter days for men of any age, it can be first sign for grave afflictions, so it’s essential for your overall health, not just your sex breath, to see a doctor if you experience hard-on dysfunction. Low desire isn’t the same as erectile malfunction, but a lot of the same points that stifle an hard-on can also dampen your interest in sex. So if you are experiencing sexual problems, it is significant to see a certified sex therapist forthwith for a complete medical examination. Note that your sex therapist has prescribed Cialis or any other medication because he has judged that the favor to you is biger than the risk of potentially serious side effects. If you experience any other symptoms which you think may be due to this generic, discuss with your physician.