One of my favorite pieces of kitchen equipment is my slow-cooker crockpot. I love it for cooking whole chickens and pulled pork, but until last week I completely forgot I could make breakfast with it! When I pulled it out to make a pot of steel cut oats oatmeal, it was so good I just had to share it with you! I mean, who doesn’t love a nutritious breakfast that are *magically* waiting for you hot and ready in the morning with little to no prep the night before? Enjoy!
Overnight Oatmeal: Slow Cooker Steel-Cut Oats
This is such an easy recipe, a toddler could make it! :) Feel free to modify after the ‘base’ is made.
Makes 10-12 servings! (1 serving is 1 cup cooked)
If I make this at the beginning of the week I have a ready-made breakfast every day!
- 2 c Steel cut oats
- 6 c Water
- 2 c Unsweetened almond milk (I used unsweetened almond-coconut milk)
- 2-4 tbls unsweetened shredded coconut (optional)
- 1/4 c Coconut sugar (I didn’t measure mine but it was probably a little less than 1/4) – feel free to sub out for brown sugar. I just really love coconut everything!
- 1-2 tsp Sea salt
- 1 tbls Cinnamon
- Optional: You can experiment with adding vanilla protein powder to the pot.
- Spray slow cooker with cooking oil (I used coconut oil, surprise surprise…) or brush with cooking oil to prevent sticking.
- Put all ingredients in the slow cooker bowl. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours.
- Voila! Set it before bed, sleep a solid 7-8, wake up and breakfast* is ready and waiting!
*Note: As oatmeal is primarily a carbohydrate source, I added a side of scrambled egg whites and one whole egg (5:1) for my breakfast protein source.
Hope you like this recipe as much as I do! Have a great week and #CauseFitness!
Did you like this recipe? Please share it with friends using the social media buttons, or pin on Pinterest!
YOUR TURN: Do you have a favorite time-saving breakfast recipe? Please share it or a link to it in the comments below!