YOU: What’s for dinner?
YOU: You said we should avoid heavy carbs at night if we’re trying to get or stay lean…
ME: Yes, but this pasta is no ordinary pasta! It’s guilt free, low calorie, low carb and full of nutrients!
This pasta is made from veggies! This pasta isn’t pasta at all. It’s squash! Squash, and other amazing nutrient-rich ingredients! Prepare to be pleasantly surprised by the similarity in texture, comfort and taste these pasta substitues bring to the table (pun intended).
Rachel Elizabeth’s Pasta-Free Pasta
- 2-4 medium zucchini or yellow zucchini squashes
- About 1tsp each (I just sprinkle a bit of each over the contents of my pan) basil, oregano, sea salt, ground black pepper, cayenne pepper (if you like a kick), chili powder (same), paprika
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- shredded low fat parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 large tomatos or 3 vine cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 8 oz 93/7 or 99% fat free ground turkey breast, ground chicken breast, or 96/4 ground beef/sirloin
2. In a large pan, saute the onions a few minutes until soft, then add ground protein choice and brown. When browned, add diced tomatoes and spices to taste.
3. While meat mixture is cooking, heat 1/2 the EVOO and 1/4c water in another skillet or large saucepan (w/ a lid), add zucchini strips (“pasta”) and cover. Steam for about 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
4. When meat has been cooking for about 5 min, you’re done! For a side, you can chop and steam the left over squash or steam some fresh asparagus if you like.
5. To serve, place “pasta” on two plates, and top with meat and tomato “sauce”. Sprinkle with parmesan (optional) and evenly distribute the remaining EVOO between the two servings. ENJOY! You can also make “pasta” with spagetti squash! Oh the possibilities!
YOUR TURN TO SHARE: What is your favorite comfort food (clean or not so clean/healthy) that you wish were? Let me know in the comments below and I may just choose to “clean up” your favorite recipe and use that evil for good! :)
Now share this with your friends on Facebook and Twitter so that you too can CAUSE a FITNESS effect!