Welcome back, Weekend Warriors and Gym Junkies! Today’s recipe is so easy and delicious, that I had to give you two options.
One is my personal go-to for fuss-free high protein paleo dinners (and lunch, snacks, etc. for the rest of the week), and the other is takes a little more time (a whopping 20 min prep, 20 min cook) and is a slight modification of chef, James Boyce’s “Balsalmic and Shallot Chicken Breasts” recipe. Tender and flavorful, this chicken won’t taste like feathers — meat-up and enjoy!
Meals on Monday: Easy Salad Dressing Chicken
VERSION #1: RACHEL ELIZABETH’S SALAD DRESSING CHICKEN
- 6–8 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/2 bottle organic, no sugar added, balsamic vinaigrette dressing (I like ‘Annies’. It’s organic, gluten-free, soy-free and vegetarian).
- Thinly sliced green onion (about a 1/2 c.) optional
- 1 gallon-size ziplock bag
- Place chicken breasts in ziplock bag with green onion
- Pour 1/2 bottle dressing over chicken in bag and seal
- Marinate for 2 hours or more (can marinate overnight if you’d like)
- Preheat oven or grill (400 degrees for oven, grill med-high heat)
- Bake in greased or foil lined baking dish for 20–25 min (check for pink — pink is bad) :) OR…grill and flip half way through (pink check again, and beware, most grills cook faster than the oven!)
- Serve with side of your choice (Paleo and lean eating? Throw in some greens: big herb salad or grilled asparagus drizzled with EVOO and ground pepper! Or…Post workout meal? Add some quinoa or wild rice with a splash of dressing — YUM!)
VERSION #2: BALSAMIC & SHALLOT CHICKEN BREASTS (Inspired by James Boyce for Cooking Light Magazine, May ’12)
- 6 skinless chicken breast halves (bone-in)
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 T EVOO, divided
- 1/2 c chopped shallots
- 3 chopped garlic cloves
- 1 chopped seeded plum tomato
- 1 1/2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 c balsamic vinigar
- 1/4 c chopped green onion
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Evenly sprinkle salt and pepper over breasts. Heat a large skillet over med/hi heat.
- Add 2 tsp of the EVOO to pan, add chicken, seasoned side down; cook until browned.
- Turn chicken over; cook about 3 min, then place in baking dish. Bake at 350 for 20–25 min or until done.
- Return skillet to med/hi heat and add remaining EVOO, shallots and garlic; sauté for 1 min, stirring constantly.
- Add tomato and paste; sauté for 1 min, stirring constantly.
- Add broth; bring to boil. Add vinegar; reduce to lo/med heat and cook 20 min until sauce is reduced to less than 1 c, stirring occasionally.
- Serve with chicken and green onions, wild rice or quinoa if post-workout, or sautéd asparagus and big herb salad if not. Enjoy!