As promised, here’s your Watch it Wednesday video featuring my own Wednesday workout at the stadium!
Check out the video to see what I had to say about it, and then go #BEASTMODE with the workout I shared with you below and feel free to add your own creative exercise ideas. All you need is YOU, a stop watch, and some energy to kill! (Stadium not included).
This workout is a supplemental workout I do weekly to mix up the heavy lifting days and steady state cardio. What’s so great about plyometrics is that they get tons of ‘work’ done (read: MEGA calories burned) in very little time (this whole workout took me less than 30 min), and they’re a great way to get resistance and cardio training done at the same time (IF you stick to the rest times and challenge your heart rate/recovery).
Cause Fitness #WiW Stadium Conditioning Workout
Warm Up 5–10 min low intensity, and foam roll (roller and/or active release ball)
1) STAIR SPRINTS:
Sprint up to the top of the aisle of stadium stairs, and walk down. REPEAT x5
2) FIELD PLYOS:
- 5 x 8 ea Broad-jump or Long-jump Burpee combo (jump forward, then straight into a burpie, repeat) :90 rest
- 3 sets of 3 x 10 yard Wind Sprints (Start at end of field, sprint 30 yards and back, touching the yard line on both ends, then immediately sprint 20 yards, then 10, always touching the yardline. Rest :60 and repeat x 3)
- 3 x Superset: 15 Jump Squats with 30 Mountain Climbers (No rest between exercises) :60 between sets
- 4 x TABATA style Skater Hops: 20 seconds ON, 10 seconds OFF, STRICT!!
- Jump Lunges: 3 ‘drop’ sets: Do 20 ea leg the first set, then 15ea, then 10ea. Rest :30 between sets
- 2 x Superset: 20 lying Glute-Hamstring raises with 20 deep speed squats. Rest :30 between sets
*Now for fair warning, ‘plyos’ are pretty tough impact most of time, so to protect your joints, be sure to get a good (low intensity) warm up in before you start the jumping, and practice active release stretching techniques, like foam rolling, daily! Master trainer, and mentor, Ashley Borden, just put out an AWESOME guide to full body foam rolling on her FB fan page that you can find here.
YOUR TURN: What are some of your favorite bodyweight plyometric power exercises? Tell me in the comments box below so I can include them in future workouts for you!
If you liked this post/video, please SHARE it with your friends using the social share buttons!
Until next time, get out there, inspire others to get fit and CAUSE a FITNESS effect!
- Rachel Elizabeth Murray