…but fresh gear to sweat in isn’t. Which means, a new gym wardrobe (that makes you look as amazing as all the other clothing in your closet that you probably spend too much on) isn’t exactly justifiable in your mind.
That said, I’m here to change your mind! Let me try to convince you that well-made, good looking, flattering, fresh ‘n’ fit gym attire is just as important as well-made, good looking, flattering business attire and day-wear. Wanna know why? Keep reading!
Now, before you try to argue that gym attire can’t possibly be fashionable no matter the price, let me remind you that gym attire keeps becoming more versatile, stylish, trendy, and flattering (while still super comfortable)!
If you’re like me at all, I like my gym gear to transfer to ‘errand running’ without missing a beat, but I want to feel good and look great too. That’s a lot of pressure for a pair of Umbro shorts and your boyfriend’s old t-shirt.
To add to my argument, there’s a lot to be said for feeling great in what you wear for the sake of your confidence, and don’t think that doesn’t apply to the gym! How excited are you to wear a new outfit when you know how great it makes you look and feel? VERY! So how much more excited would you be to work up a sweat in new kicks and fresh gear than in the previously described ensemble? This applies to everyone that I’ve discussed the topic with, and it applies to both men and women.
Here are my top three reasons for going out and getting some new ‘sweat-ables’:
1) GET NEW SHOES! Know your feet. If you have flat feet, you need shoes with great arch support, especially if you run! If you lift weights (especially if you do exercises like squats, overhead press, etc) you don’t want unnecessary cushion or “air” pockets in the soles of your shoes. Sometimes I even lift in my Converse Chuck-Taylors.
2) INSPIRATION TO MOVE! New workout gear can be the difference between staying on the couch and getting to the gym! I recommend searching Pinterest for key words like #gym, gym outfit, workout gear, workout outfit, etc. I’ve compiled some ideas on my “Fresh ‘n’ Fit” Pinterest board for you to start with.
3) CONFIDENCE: As you may know, I’m not only in the business of body sculpting through training and nutrition, but I’m also, and unofficially of course, a therapist, counselor, best friend, ‘big sister’, ‘mom’ and confidant to my clients. Personal training is just that. It’s very personal. People usually open up to me and I am honored to be there for everyone who does. I respect it and keep their privacy, but I have noticed a change in those who do open up to me over the course of our training together. Usually, they come in in the baggy pants, shorts, and big t-shirt and have very little, if any, confidence in their demeanor. When they realize that they have the power to change their body, which changes their health, their energy, and their outlook on life, their confidence blossoms! I see them start to come in in tank tops, Lululemon capri pants (tight), and big fat smiles on their faces! Some where in the process and journey it took to get to that place (and yes, we’re all on the journey in different places…no one’s actually arrived…) I made sure to mention to them that they should show off their gorgeous arms and watch their muscles work. Or, maybe get some bright, fun new shoes and capris to get them amped about “leg day”. Tight black pants are usually more flattering than baggy sweats anyway you slice it.
Granted I refer to ladies over gentlemen a lot because I am a lady (*ehem* sometimes…tom-boy more often), but these rules apply (minus the gender specific comments) to men just as much as they do to women. I have a client who I suggested sleeveless t-shirts too (to see his form on “shoulder day”) and he did it. Turns out, not only did he get to see the form and technique specifics i was queing, but he saw striations and lean muscle working that was hidden under t-shirt sleeves before. Guess who always wears “shoulder shirts” now? :)
1) How does what you wear affect your mood, confidence or otherwise make you feel differently about yourself? Please share! I’d love to know your thoughts!
2) Wear gym gear that makes you feel like a rockstar already? Where do you find deals? Where do you like to shop? Share! We, readers and myself, all want to know! :)